By Carl A. Huffman
Read Online or Download A History of Pythagoreanism PDF
Similar greek & roman philosophy books
The Georgics has for a few years been a resource of fierce controversy between students of Latin literature. Is the paintings positive or pessimistic, seasoned- or anti-Augustan? may still we learn it as a eulogy or a sour critique of Rome and her imperial objectives? This e-book means that the paradox of the poem is the fabricated from a fancy and thorough-going engagement with past writers within the didactic culture: Hesiod, Aratus and - specially - Lucretius.
The Stoic thinker Epictetus has been some of the most influential of historical thinkers, either in antiquity itself and nowa days. Theodore Scaltsas and Andrew S. Mason current ten in particular written papers which debate Epictetus' idea on quite a lot of matters, together with ethics, common sense, theology, and psychology; discover his relatives to his predecessors (including his philosophical heroes, Socrates and Diogenes the Cynic, in addition to the sooner Stoictradition); and think about his impact on later thinkers.
Was once Plato a Platonist? whereas historic disciples of Plato could have spoke back this query within the affirmative, sleek students have more often than not denied that Plato’s personal philosophy used to be in gigantic contract with that of the Platonists of succeeding centuries. In From Plato to Platonism, Lloyd P. Gerson argues that the ancients have been right of their evaluate.
El lector tiene en sus manos una de las obras más importantes sobre los angeles figura de Dioniso, el dios griego del teatro, el éxtasis y l. a. fertilidad. Escrita en 1933, sigue siendo referencia obligada para todo estudioso de los angeles mitología griega. En ella, Walter F. Otto expone con profundidad y rigor qué significó Dioniso en el mundo divino griego, en cuanto a sus ritos y símbolos, así como el papel de l. a. máscara y lo dionisíaco en los angeles tragedia.
- Metaphysics and Method in Plato's Statesman
- Rekonstruktion des Teilbarkeitsarguments in Descartes´ Meditationes de Prima Philosophia (German Edition)
- Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, Book VII: Symposium Aristotelicum: Bk. 7 (Symposia Aristotelia)
- Euripides and the Boundaries of the Human
- On the Socratic Education: An Introduction to the Shorter Platonic Dialogues (Critical Perspectives)
- Subjectivity: Ancient and Modern
Additional resources for A History of Pythagoreanism
A History of Pythagoreanism by Carl A. Huffman
- Edward Vernon Arnold's Roman Stoicism (Routledge Revivals) PDF
- Download e-book for kindle: The Pleasures of Reason in Plato, Aristotle, and the by James Warren